Monday, January 7, 2008

ARE WE IN THE SOUTH ANYMORE?

So, I've been baffled in the last 24 hours about the lack of Southern Hospitality I've witnessed.

First, I went to Pet Smart yesterday like I do every month to get a 10lb bag of cat food and some kitty litter. So I go to the litter and there are only huge 40lb bags, which I don't like to get because they're so heavy. This guy walks by, he's about 60 and it's kind of sad he ever works at Pet Smart, and asks if he can help because I'm just sitting there staring at a wall of litter. I asked him where the 20lb bags were, and he said the truck didn't come ... Great. So then I said, okay, I'll just get this one and with my 10lb bag in one hand, I proceed to lift a 40lb bag with one hand onto my shoulder. Meanwhile, the elderly asshole just watches, and even walks with me 5 aisles until we get to the fish, where he takes a left turn. What the fuck? Not one comment. No "Can I help you ma'am?" or "May I get you a cart?" or even "Hey, let me help you throw that heavy ass bag over your shoulder!" It took me about 5 years to even step foot in a Pet Smart again (circa my rat incident in 2001, which is an entirely other blog), but they are the only place that carries my cat food and particular brand of litter. Yes, my babies are spoiled with organic food and dust free hypo whatever-genic clay particles to shit in.

So, if that hadn't already got me thinking about manners and common courtesy, this dumb bitch in my building today proved that our society is changing. I'm a door holder. It's what I do. I'll wait a while, I smile at the person, whatever, it's a nice thing to do. And usually I at least receive a Thank You or nod or smile, but no, today I was leaving work and I held the door for someone about 20 yards away. Now, she saw me turn around and looked straight at me ... did NOT speed up, did NOT say THANK YOU, did not even acknowledge I existed. WHAT A FUCKING BITCH?!? It made me so mad that I almost said "You're FUCKING welcome!" but I bit my tongue. If she was having such a shitty day that she couldn't acknowledge something nice a stranger did for her, then I guess she's got bigger issues than me sitting here complaining.

I'm done with my rant. I will still hold doors, let cars over, smile, and all the other nice things that Southerners and people with manners do, but I won't lie that I'll be a bit jaded if things like this keep happening.

1 comment:

Ed and Melissa said...

Just found out how to leave a comment :) .. I agree totally with this posting!