Wednesday, December 26, 2007

IT PAID OFF!

So, while I'm in front of my computer I thought I'd share a follow up to my Starbucks/Random Act of Kindness story from Friday morning. We've always heard about karma and if you're nice to others, they'll be nice to you, etc. etc., but I had no idea just how quickly my good deed of paying for someone's breakfast on Friday would turn around on me!

On Friday night instead of staying in Atlanta and packing like I was going to do, I ended up throwing everything together in about half an hour, and heading to Athens to spend time with friends and to cut an hour off my drive to SC the next day. On my way, I stopped off in Winder to drop off a cake and presents at my house and to have dinner with the 'rents and their friends. A girl cannot pass up a dinner party with corn chowder and toasted pimento cheese sandwiches!

Anyway, so I ate and ran in a hurry and decided to go a back way to Athens where you cut down a little winding street behind the chicken feed plant and the railroad tracks. Well, the next thing I know, I've got blue lights flashing behind me and I'm being pulled over. DAMN! So, I'm very nice to the cop. He asked me where I was going, blah blah and if I knew the speed limit on the road, and I said I didn't. So he took my license and went back to his car for what seemed like an eternity ....

He comes back to my car, literally 4 or 5 tracks later on the CD I was listening to, and says he has good news and bad news, which would I like first? I said I didn't care, and to be truly honest, I was in a good mood all that day and I didn't care....bring it on! He said to me, I'm going to give you a ticket, but I want to explain to you how I'm helping you out. It is Christmas after all, you seem like a nice girl, and I wouldn't want to ruin your trip out of town... was I really hearing this?

The ticket I should have gotten:
52 in a 30, State Law Violation of not only speeding, but wreckless driving because of the speed I was going over, 4 points on my license, a fine of $175+, insurance going up, and a bad mark on my DMV driving record for however many years

What I did get:
45 in a 35, Local Ordinance Violation, which means the ticket will never even make it to my DMV driving record, I'll get no points and my insurance company will never know, and I just have to mail in around $35 to pay it off .... WOOOOHOOOOO!

The point of the story is that I know we shouldn't do nice things for strangers or people we know because we want something in return, and that is absolutely NOT the reason I did my good deed on Friday morning, but I do have to say, it sure feels nice coming back full circle! And there's not a doubt in my mind that if I had not been so giving that very same morning, I'd be hiring a lawyer right now to get me out of that fine and those points on my license!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!! And go easy on the Egg Nog! ;)

Love,
BR

No comments: